Featured ArticlesLocal News

Lewis arrested in shooting, one dead, one critical

A fight that began in Davenport Oct. 27 at approximately 1:30 a.m., turned into a tragedy with one man dead and another flown to BryanLGH-West Medical Center in Lincoln with severe injuries.
Brothers, Remington and Reuben Elting, were found around 3:30 a.m., with gunshot wounds at Michael Lewis’s home on 625 Jefferson Ave.
They were transported to Thayer County Health Services, where Remington was pronounced deceased. Reuben remains in critical condition at BryanLGH-West Medical Center in Lincoln.
Lewis, 21, of Hebron, was arrested the next day after an interview with the Nebraska State Patrol. The patrol is assisting Thayer County with the investigation.
Lewis was in Thayer County Court for a bond hearing Monday. Bond was set by Thayer County Court Judge Linda Bauer for 10 percent of $250,000 on two charges — using a deadly weapon to commit a felony and assault in the first degree.
Thayer County Attorney Dan Werner urged a bond of 10 percent of $500,000 based on the details in a warrantless affidavit filed Oct. 28.
“We know there were two people shot with a gun wielded by Lewis. One of them died. The other one is in critical,” Werner said.
He said further charges “may be considered.”
“This is a complex investigation and we don’t have that at this time,” Werner said.
Lewis’s attorney, Ben Murray, asked for a recognizance bond after Murray called Lewis’s father, Wade Lewis, to testify that Lewis has lived in the area since he was a child, owns his home and does not have a history with police as an adult.
Bauer said a recognizance bond was inappropriate.
Lewis had called police at 3:24 a.m., and reported he caught two people breaking in and he had shot two people with a pistol.
Earlier that morning, Thayer County deputies were called to the 200 block of North Elm Street in Davenport because of a report of a physical confrontation and a firearm being brandished at another individual by Lewis.
When they arrived, deputies found those responsible for the confrontation were no longer at the residence and the deputies would continue their investigation, securing warrants later, if necessary.
Lewis later admitted to pulling a .22 caliber handgun from his friend’s pickup during the confrontation in Davenport, and firing two rounds into the air.
In an interview with NSP investigators, Lewis said he was awakened by banging on the front door of his home. A man identified as Chance Gerdes asked him if he was “Michael” or “Cody.”
Lewis argued with Gerdes, who would not say why he was at Lewis’s home.
Lewis told police he opened the door a little and Gerdes tried to push the door open.
He said he shut the door and locked it, and got his 9-millimeter handgun. He said he warned Gerdes multiple times he had a gun.
Lewis then looked for Gerdes, but didn’t see him. He opened the door and saw Remington.
He said Remington grabbed his shirt, but Lewis pushed him away from the door. Lewis said he had previously worked with Remington and thought he could talk to him. The situation became physical and Lewis said he shot Remington.
Lewis was on his knees from the confrontation with Remington when Reuben came around the corner from the front of the home. Lewis’s gun was in his hand, tucked next to his side, but he had the gun pointed at Reuben.
He said he yelled at Reuben to stop and he fired. Reuben was approximately 10 to 15 feet away from him when Lewis fired.
Reuben moved toward the driveway and Lewis didn’t know if he had hit Reuben.
Lewis will return to court Nov. 9 at 10 a.m., to decide whether he wants a preliminary hearing.

Leave a Reply