Local News

Small Business Administration Offers Disaster Assistance

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will be stationed at the Thayer County Courthouse until Thursday, June 11, for any individuals or businesses looking for disaster assistance.

SBA has low-interest federal loans available to businesses and residents who were affected by early May’s severe storm and flooding.

“We’re here to help,” said Kevin Wynne, SBA public information officer. “Even if you don’t think you have damage, let us see what we can do for you.”

Loans up to $200,000 are available to homeowners to repair damaged real estate with 1.688 percent interest.

Homeowners and renters can get up to $40,000 to repair or replace personal property.

Business loans are available up to $2,000,000 for property damage. Interest rates are at four percent and 2.625 percent for private nonprofit organizations.

Disaster loans are also available for automobiles.

Economic Injury Disaster Loans are available for businesses suffering a lack of capital due to the impact of the storm.

“When we come into a community, we recognize that they suffer economic damages as well,” said Wynne. “We don’t want to see businesses go under because they are not getting revenue.”

These loans are for small businesses and small agricultural cooperatives and are set at four percent interest.

Loan amounts and terms are set by SBA and are based on each applicant’s credit worthiness and repayment ability.

There are three ways to apply to SBA:
1) Apply in person at any Disaster Loan Outreach Center and receive personal, one-on-one help from an SBA representative.
2) Apply online using the Electronic Loan Application at www.disasterloan.sba.gov/ela. For information  call (800) 659-2955 or visit the website at www.sba.gov.
3) Complete a paper application and mail it to: 14925 Kingsport Rd., Ft. Worth, TX 76155-2243.

Their hours of business are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the district court room on the third floor. No appointment is necessary.

Applicants do not need to bring in photos of damages or receipts.

Assistance is also available in Fillmore, Gage, Jefferson, Lancaster, Nuckolls, Saline, Seward and York counties.

Leave a Reply